Local Grant Program
The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) developed the Clean California Local Grant Program through which approximately $296 million in funds will go to local communities to beautify and improve local streets and roads, tribal lands, parks, pathways, and transit centers to clean and enhance public spaces. Through the combination of adding beautification measures and art in public spaces along with the removal of litter and debris, this effort will enhance communities and improve spaces for walking and recreation.
The goals of the Clean CA Local Grant Program are to:
- Reduce the amount of waste and debris within public rights-of-way, pathways, parks, transit centers, and other public spaces.
- Enhance, rehabilitate, restore, or install measures to beautify and improve public spaces and mitigate the urban heat island effect.
- Enhance public health, cultural connection, and community placemaking by improving public spaces for walking and recreation.
- Advance equity for underserved communities.
View the Clean California Local Grant Program Factsheet (PDF) for more information.
- List of Awarded Projects
Note: Notwithstanding any other provision of the Caltrans Restricted Grant Agreement (RGA), no funds will be released to a grant awardee until the RGA is fully executed by both parties, no funds will be released to a grant awardee if they fail to meet or fail to continue to meet all the requirements to receive the grant funds, no funds will be released to a grant awardee until any mistakes found in their application are resolved and grant awardee verifies accuracy of their application, and any improperly disbursed funds must be promptly returned by the grant awardee to Caltrans upon written notice.
- Award Notice
- Application Receipt Log
- Application Instructions (PDF)
Please Note: The application deadline has passed.
- Attachment A (DOCX): Project Narrative
- Attachment B (XLSX): For Non-Infrastructure Projects, Scope of Work, Cost, and Project Schedule Workbook
- Attachment C (XLSX): For Infrastructure Projects, Scope of Work, Cost, and Project Schedule Workbook
- Attachment D (PDF): For Infrastructure Projects, Project Study Report or Equivalent with Engineer's Stamp (Form provided for projects off the State Highway System. See Application Instructions for more information)
- Attachment E: Project Location Map (No form provided, see Application Instructions for information)
- Attachment F (XLSX): If you are requesting Advance Payment, a Spending Plan
- Attachment G: Photo of Project Site Prior to Improvements (No form provided, see Application Instructions for information)
- Attachment H (PDF): Project Fact Sheet
- Attachment I (PDF): Local Match Calculation, Population Benefit, and Population Benefit to Underserved Communities forms
- Attachment J: If claiming a project benefit to an underserved community in Section 2.1 using a criterion other than one of the five options listed in the program guidelines, the proposed criterion and justification for consideration (No form provided, see Application Instructions for information)
- Attachment K (PDF): Demonstrated Community Need and Project Outcomes forms
- Attachment L (PDF): Application Checklist
- Attachment M: Letters of Support from the Community (No form provided, see Application Instructions for information)
- Attachment N: Other materials that help demonstrate why the proposed elements are needed (i.e. project renderings, survey results, additional maps, outreach materials, etc.) (No form provided, see Application Instructions for information)
- Clean California Local Grant Program Guidelines (PDF)
- Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- Local Match Calculation Tutorials:
- START HERE: Determine the ¼ or ½ mile limits (buffer) around your project site using Google Maps
- Option 1: Using Area Median Income to Determine your Local Match Requirement
- Option 2: Using CalEnviroScreen to Determine your Local Match Requirement
- Option 3: Using National School Lunch Program Criteria to Determine your Local Match Requirement
- Option 4: Using Healthy Places Index to Determine your Local Match Requirement
The first two stakeholder workshops focused on soliciting input from local communities to develop the grant program guidelines. The second workshop built on the feedback and comments received during the first workshop. The remaining workshops provided potential applicants with technical assistance on how to complete a successful application. Watch past workshops by clicking the links below.
|Workshop #5||Wednesday, January 12, 2022||1:30 pm - 3:00 pm||Recording|
|Workshop #4||Wednesday, December 15, 2021||1:30 pm - 3:30 pm||Recording|
|Workshop #3||Thursday, November 18, 2021||10:00 am - 12:00 pm||Recording|
|Workshop #2||Thursday, October 7, 2021||10:00 am - 12:00 pm||Recording|
|Workshop #1||Wednesday, September 1, 2021||1:00 – 3:00pm||Recording|
Recordings of past workshops available on our website may not reflect all changes to the guidelines. It is the responsibility of the applicant to read the final guidelines to learn the most updated information.
Grant Program Milestones
The following is the projected timeline for the Clean California Local Grant Program.
|Call for Projects||December 1, 2021|
|Project Application Deadline||February 1, 2022 by 5:00 PM|
|Project Award Notification||March 1, 2022|
|Restricted Grant Agreement Execution||Spring, 2022|
|Project Completion Date||June 30, 2024|
|District 1 - Eureka||Julia Peterson||Julia.Peterson@dot.ca.gov|
|District 2 - Redding||Meagan Benham||Meagan.Benham@dot.ca.gov|
|District 3 - Marysville / Sacramento||Cynthia Shipleyemail@example.com|
|District 4 - Bay Area / Oakland||Linda Phoen||Linda.Phoen@dot.ca.gov|
|District 5 - San Luis Obispo / Santa Barbara||Zachary Cotter||Zachary.firstname.lastname@example.org|
|District 6 - Fresno / Bakersfield||Neethi Kattherisetty||Neethi.Kattherisetty@dot.ca.gov|
|District 7 - Los Angeles||Steve Novotny||Steve.Novotny@dot.ca.gov|
|District 8 - San Bernardino / Riverside||Eduardo Moreno-Castaneda||Eduardo.Castaneda@dot.ca.gov|
|District 9 - Bishop||Mark A. Heckman||Mark.Heckman@dot.ca.gov|
|District 10 - Stockton||Sam Shermanemail@example.com|
|District 11 - San Diego||Bryan Ott||Bryan.Ott@dot.ca.gov|
|District 12 - Orange County||Troy Andres||Troy.Andres@dot.ca.gov|